Monday, April 26, 2010

Stepping Out

I like being comfortable. I've lived in the same area all my life with the exception of a single year spent in Evansville. I've had some of my closest friends since high school and some before that. And while I do change my hair constantly, I keep most things the same. Because stepping out of my comfort zone puts me at risk to fail or get hurt. And I really dislike failing. A lot. I also dislike being wrong. Why feel uncomfortable and awkward in a new situation when I can feel in control in an old one?

But, there are things I want in life. I want a new job. I'd like more friends. I want to become more social and expand my life to something more. And in order to do that I need to step out of my comfort zone.

It started small. I went to a tweetup in March. I really didn't talk to many people that I didn't know, but it was a step forward. Then in April I went to another. I met new people. I laughed. I had a great time. And finally I participated in the March of Dimes this weekend. I'll be honest. That was an intimidating experience. I only knew one person there. The rest I've seen online and tweeted with, but I didn't really know them. In the end, I'm so glad I went. Because nothing bad happened. I had a great time. I worried the driver of a Pace car. I met people who were just as sweet and funny as I had thought they'd be.

Putting myself out there is scary. I worry about people not liking me. I worry about not fitting in. But if I never try to branch out I'm never going to move in life. And the last month or so has shown me that I will meet great people and I will have a good time if I just try.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I am proud of you! It is VERY scary to put yourself out there and walk into a situation where everyone already knows each other. To be honest, it's probably not something I would've had the guts to do, which makes you that much more awesome.

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I have to admit, I thought you already knew everyone! You were so natural about it all. I'm sorry I wasn't feeling well or I could have walked with you and been more sociable!!

Steph

Love said...

i loved walking with you all & i completely agree with erin; i'm not sure i would've had the guts to do it. you did it beautifully.

Post a Comment