Thursday, July 21, 2011

this isn't 1955

Warning: This is another blog post brought to you by Tylenol 3 and general crankiness.

I don't have kids. You all know this. I love kids. I want kids. I think kids are great and I adore them, but I don't have them. Yes, I've been married for six years and with the same man for 10 years total now, but no we don't have kids.

Guess what? That's okay. I'm okay.

If you tell me one more time that I can't understand what you're going through because I don't have children, I will kick you. If you judge me because my struggles seem less than yours due to an absence of children, I will dislike you. And if you feel sorry for me because I'm not having luck getting pregnant, I will glare at you.

I know I don't have children. But that doesn't make me less of a person. And even though you might swear up and down and left and right that you don't think I'm less of a woman because I don't have children, you're likely lying. Because I know you think things. I know those comments go through your head about "poor Katy" and "she'll understand one day."

Guess what? I'm FINE. I'm okay right now and as much as I want to have children, my world will not be less if it never happens for me. I'm going to let you all in on a little secret about the women of the world who don't have children. Are you ready?

We do not stop being happy, whole and complete women just because we are not mothers. We are still happy people. We are still able to get out of bed, feed ourselves and live a full and rich life.

So, please, for the love of all things holy.. shut up. Do not try to push what YOU think we need onto us. We'll do things at our own pace. Thanks.

2 comments:

Julie said...

AMEN. You should try being single. People pretty much tell you how worthless you are daily. Because, clearly, if you haven't a man or children, you have no value. *snarl*

Leanne Hoagland-Smith said...

As someone who had a child late in life, I whole hardheartedly agree with you inspite of the meds and general crankiness.

Post a Comment